Monday, October 15, 2012

More on Dreadlock shampoo and Conditioning, styling products and more


What do I use to wash and maintain my dreadlocks?

Okay so you know residue is a very bad thing and you know to use anything in moderation. You can see how I have had a pretty fun time dying my hair in the gallery. I have colored from deep red to white-blonde and you can understand how I am trying to get my hair and its PH levels back under control. I have to repair breakage and splitting and my ends are unraveling. I know I need to lay off the dyes, so I have been rinsing my hair instead as it is a safer alternative to what I have been doing with the chemicals. I haven't conditioned my hair in about 4 years and when I did after the rinses, I definitely saw what I was missing, practically instantly. I was all about not conditioning since I was reading about build-up and residue and mold. I decided I was going to just grease my scalp really well, and when I did that I tuned away from my olive-oil and started using Pink-oil. It was a very bad switch that made dirt and oils easily trapped in my hair, which I could see when I shampooed. At this point, my hair in the front is so short you would think that I deliberately gave myself bangs, but it is not the case. I actually got my hair ate up from the dye! I know that I need to care for my hair better, so to reverse the process, I have gotten myself some Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner. I have read on the web that it helps keep your hair clean and moisturized and growing long while stopping splitting and breakage.
 This is the Mane and Tail Herbal Gro shampoo and conditioner I bought. I thought it would be a nice opportunity to reclaim my hair and get back well with Olive oil. I can't wait to see the results.
This is the original formulas of Mane and Tail, which I would have got, but the Herbal Gro formula sounded like more of what my hair needs. They are all pretty inexpensive, and at 3 dollars a bottle ($4 for Herbal Gro) it's a pretty good way to keep my hair in check for a while. Again, everything in moderation. The problem with these online retailers is that they are product junkies. You may have the best product in the world for sealing ends like Beeswax but unless you're using it properly then you will have problems. The people online can not advertise to you what really sells, which is the style or texture you are after. They can only make money on the hype of our hair. Isn't that why we get so proud because we don't have to do much to maintain it? When we do, we must take care of our hair and respond accurately to its needs. That way when we ask for it to be manageable and healthy with body and texture and style it, we really get the results we are after. Even with dreadlocks, there are no 'canned' secrets. You have to really work with yourself to do as much as possible with the versatility without damage. Working with a good product over time is helpful, and reading and listening to what others say about it helps as well when making decisions. It is essential to stick with what works and keep up with the growth. You will surely thank yourself in the later years.

 This is the good shtuff right here. This is the Olive Oil that does exactly what it says. It nourishes and conditions dry and thirsty hair. I immediately saw and felt the difference in the texture of my hair and was quite impressed. It also helps hold some nice curls like the ones in the picture below and will keep the style for a week or longer. Olive Oil is a MUST HAVE on sheen and is at the top of the list over Pink Moisturizers that seem to be best at locking in dirt and oil. Olive oil I have found to rinse clean and still leave your hair with a silky texture.
Now this is where I started at. Jamaican Mango and Lime products are a joy because even though you pay a bit more, you get the type of results you want as far as luxurious locs go. Their Lock Gro hair grease is a must and has camphor and menthol in it to stimulate hair follicles and it also makes your hair grow long long loong!! Again, these products should be used in moderation since you are still trying to stay away from build up. I try to taper my edges and my scalp with Lock Gro on my fingertips after I lightly sprayed my hair with the olive oil when I am trying to make my curls last and stay vibrant. I am still working on that technique to keep my curls but I know it is all about what I already know and have learned.

For the curls in the picture above, what works best for me is either wash your hair in warm water or do it without shampooing. But its gotta be good and warm. Soak them up and towel dry. Then I take my curling rods and get to it. I know because of my length that nowadays I will still have to sit under my dryer to make sure they get dry completely. Usually though it was just a night of discomfort from the rollers (and I wasn't a big fan of hair dryers when I had straightened hair either) now I have to dry in the morning as well, for about an hour to make sure. While its drying, I do spray some spritz onto it but not much. I do that by spraying it onto my hands and running it over the curlers. Then when I take the curlers down, my hair is usually in a flexible spiral curl that relaxes throughout the day. By day two, I am livening it back up with olive oil for that lasting shine and bounce that will get me through the week, probably with some more olive oil by Thursday or Friday if I start the process on Sunday. That way on Monday morning, I have a fresh head for the week.

This is with the same process, but with bantu knots. This was a popular way when my dreads were shorter to curl my hair without rollers. Since my hair has gotten longer, I have sampled with the rollers in the picture, particularly with the blue colored rollers. Can you imagine what it's like sleeping with bantus through the night? My goodness!

Now I think I'm going to talk about interlocking next.
Me.
GG

No comments:

Post a Comment