Monday, October 15, 2012

How I cared for babylocs

I know I look kinda homely in this video with my short baby locs:).
When I had just started my locs, a gentleman barber noticed my efforts and suggested to me to twist my hair into little balls. He carefully showed me with beeswax how to twist up my hair into a pretty decoration and then cover it with a stocking cap overnight. That stocking cap had tuned into silk wraps to protect my hair from breakage and losing moisture from cotton pillowcases. I loved how my little buds were developing. When I took my hair down from the twists in the morning, I could style them and let them be for a while without re twisting and having my fingers all in my hair. I could put a wrap in the front to lay down the ends and go from professional to casual with ease. It was great. Later after reading a bit on the internet, I found out the method I was using was called "comb coils" and you can do it with a comb or with your fingers to twist up dreadlocks into a cute, manageable 'do'. Above is a video with my hair in Comb Coils. I made a few videos before trying to explain my techniques and methods but again, I have a pretty big family with 8 of us and more extended, I just never got around to combining my videos with actual dialog to reference back to. Though I have had thousands of views, I feel like I didn't really get into what I was intending to convey and I missed the mark in trying to get a well thought out journal of my ideas based upon my loc journey. I will do my best now to elaborate on some of those ideas as well as making new ones to update my progress since I made them. Time has just flown by over the years :D

Comb Coils are a great way to keep baby locs maintained because it keeps the scalp clean and baby dreads separated. It showed me great patience while I was learning how to twist and seeing the texture of my hair respond the the beeswax I was putting in it with moderation. I really miss those days because every style I created with my coils was different every day. I was able to experiment with some products like Jamaican Loc and Twist and was pleased with the way my hair was growing fuller and softer. I used the Loc-Gro and the Medicating Shampoo and liked the clean feeling it left behind. I only washed my hair once every two weeks to make sure I wasn't washing out fresh twisting. I was appreciating what my hair was doing for me, of course without the relaxers, the weaves and the wigs I was still producing lasting looks with my hair that tuned heads and made people ask me all sorts of questions. At that point, the internet became my haven for all things dreadlocks. I looked up how they are styled, and what eccentric styles people were coming up with. I was amazed at my findings and inspired to try new things. I decided to make this starter video on how to wash, coil and style locs with a seashell method I came up with. I had these pretty shells in my hair one summer and many people wondered how I got them in. I told them that I had bought them from a local beauty supply and painted them and then took some small gold clasps and clamped them in my hair. That was how I got shells in my dreadlocks. It was pretty cool. I got to show my hair before washing and afterward showing how I comb coiled my hair to the results you see in the video at the top. As I kept up with my coils, I also got interested in making jewelry for them without having to buy some. I decided to get crafty and bought some wire and started to make my own dreadlock jewelry. I got really creative with the designed and even though I wanted to sell my creations, I thought with my schedule it would be impossible to keep up with the demand.  So I put up my crafts and supplies until I really got into beading and making wire jewelry, which is another passion I now have based off of dreadlocks.

Here are some videos I made on washing my hair and styling it with comb coils. Again, it will make the type of style located at the top of this post.


This is the video I made on making Dreadlock Jewelry

More to come on this soon.
Me
GG

No comments:

Post a Comment