Sunday, October 14, 2012

Dreadlocks

Okay, I am another individual with dreadlocks with a dreadlock blog. I just want to say as far as locs go that it has been an interesting experience watching people adapt to locs. I mean at first it was all these older guys with Rastafarian caps talking about the revolution, now so many people are finding out about the heritage and culture behind it that we are taking away the biases and the assumptions and the myths about them, shifting their presence into the norm. I remember people thought of the look as a fad and that they were frowned upon for bringing the kink under control and the natural look is always to be embraced with confidence. This is more than just a hair style. It involves a very exciting spiritual journey that has you looking for answers to so many ideas. It matures you. As they grow, they inspire and mature like the roots of a tree soaking up life and wind and light and moisture, giving you a texture of beautiful, radiant, silky, shiny, clean, healthy hair to any race or culture of people that decide to take the journey. I know there are still people out there, as I have heard them call me rope headed and mop haired or whatever, I am still encouraging people to take people with locs and natural hair as a serious mark of personal understanding of self and expression.Each person adds a uniqueness and personality to their hair to wear their crown happily and with a confidence that defines them. There are many alternatives out there on how to care for your hair but I love the look and feel of dreadlocks and would encourage anyone to educate themselves and learn to see people with natural hair and locs together as a new culture. They are not to be dreaded or feared but are to be respected. They are gold added to the earth in a natural state of being.

That's my view on dreadlocks. Happy Nappy!

No comments:

Post a Comment